An unloader knee brace is specifically designed for treating arthritis knee pain.
Do your bones ache when the weather changes? Does your osteoarthritis knee pain prevent you from enjoying your daily activities? Studies show that cold, wet weather negatively affects people with rheumatoid and osteoarthritis.
For osteoarthritis knee pain relief, you need a prescription from your doctor for an unloader-style knee brace. A custom-fitted unloader knee orthosis (brace) has a range of settings to dial in to make the brace as comfortable as possible. Your practitioner should be able to show you how to use the different settings.
An OA brace can relieve bone-on-bone joint pain and slow down the degenerative process. Dynamic OA braces open the joint only when the leg is extended and the most pain relief is needed. No pressure is applied when the leg is bent. With dynamic unloading, these braces are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time.
Treatment with the correct knee brace can relieve most osteoarthritis symptoms:
- Pain, after overuse or after long periods of inactivity
- Aching and soreness of the joints
- Stiffness after periods of rest, swelling of the joints.
Cold weather brings on aches and pains – it is not your imagination. Most common in weight-bearing joints, the pain can settle into your knees, hips and ankles. It is important to remember that stiffness is one of your body’s early warning signs. If the symptoms persist, be sure to check in with your doctor. If stiffness and joint pain persist it might be a sign that you have arthritis, and you want to address the issue as soon as possible with your doctor to prevent further progression.
The Collier-Laurence Orthotic Team works with your doctor and other care providers to find the correct knee orthosis (brace) for your diagnosis. We have these tips for those who might be shopping for an osteoarthritis knee brace:
1) How many patients does the facility see monthly? The busiest clinics tend to have the more experienced practitioners.
2) Look for an orthosis (brace) recommended by your doctor for your specific condition. How many different OA braces do they offer to patients?
a. Pittet style
b. Large styles
c. Valgus / varus
d. Custom / off the shelf
e. Hand Dexterity problems
f. Sports related
3) Do they have a return policy on braces that don’t provide pain relief? Will they provide other options?
4) Your brace can’t help you if you don’t wear it regularly. If your brace is uncomfortable or pinching, contact the provider and they should be able to make adjustments for a better fit.
Unfortunately, there is no cure for arthritis, but there are ways to manage the pain and slow down the progression of arthritis. Although it maybe difficult, staying active is important. Make sure to check with your doctor or physical therapist for appropriate exercises for your condition.